The following categories of candidates are eligible to appear in GATE:
- Bachelor's degree holders in Engineering/Technology/Architecture/Pharmacy and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
- Master's degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final or pre-final year of such programmes.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master's degree programme (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology or in the third or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master's degree programme and Dual Degree programme in Engineering/ Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examination conducted by professional societies recognised by UPSC/AICTE as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
- All the relevant books based on the subject ..See the books in two groups - (1) Fundamental and basic concepts (2) Problem oriented
- Some books helpful for pre-requisite knowledge on the subject
- Some good guide books for GATE
- Previous questions papers
2.Keep contact with some expert and GATE experienced persons
3.Study - Syllabus and Previous questions papers
4.Start in the following way
- read at least 5 books, it will widen your knowledge
- Note down the probable concepts(definitions, unit, dimension etc.)
- Note down necessary theories, formulae etc
- Solve problems as maximum as possible
- Think about various tricks in solving problems
- Go for series of self tests based each chapter
- Continue the self tests until getting a very good score
5.Solve more and more problems; discover more and more new tricks…
6.Finally, go for self-tests based on whole syllabus (take other's help to conduct these tests)
The contents are informative in nature. Candidates are advised to refer to the notice published on Official Websites of the organization(s) administering the particular Test(s) / Examination(s).